Meet David Scott Thoman, MD, FACS
When researching gastrointestinal and bariatric surgeons in Santa Barbara, California, be sure to consider Dr. David Scott Thoman. He specializes in minimally invasive and laparoscopic gastrointestinal and weight loss options. The result for patients is smaller scars, faster healing, and less pain than with traditional "open" procedures. Dr. Thoman is the first surgeon on the Central Coast to offer several procedures using the single-incision method.
Dr. Thoman specializes in minimally-invasive gastrointestinal and weight loss surgery, including gastric bypass and gastric banding procedures.
Exceptional Qualifications & Experience
"With my training and years of experience, I have the educational foundation necessary to deliver top-quality care that gets my patients back to their lives fast."
- Certification: American Board of Surgery
- Fellow: American College of Surgeons
- Advanced Laparoscopic Fellowship: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Residency: University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- Medical Degree: Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA
- Undergraduate Degree: Cum Laude, University of Notre Dame
Dedication to Patient Care
"As surgeons, our priority is to help you get well as quickly as possible. We will use the latest minimally invasive laparoscopic techniques to make your care both safe and effective. Laparoscopic surgery is much better for our patients than traditional procedures. And giving our patients the best care is what's most important to us."
"Scarless" Surgery Is Here
Dr. Thoman offers the single incision laparoscopic surgery (SILS) technique for many of the procedures he performs and is considered a leader in minimally invasive surgery.
Professional Affiliations & Appointments
"I chose this profession because I can do things that immediately make a difference in people's lives while contributing something to the art and science of surgery," says Dr. Thoman. "My proficiency in the surgical arts today is a reflection of my desire to excel in this profession."
- Associate Director of Surgical Education: Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital
- Medical Director of Bariatric Surgery: Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital
- Laparoscopy Instructor: Covidien Healthcare
- Member: American Medical Association, American College of Surgeons, Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons, American Society of Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery, Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgery
- Hospital Privileges: Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital, Goleta Valley Hospital, Ventura County Medical Center, Summit Surgery Center, Premier Surgery Center
Dr. Thoman's dedication to patient care rivals his dedication to the happiness and health of his family. In his spare time, Dr. Thoman enjoys surfing and spending time with his wife Charity and their two sons.
We Are Here for You
Would you like to meet one of the most trusted and highly trained gastrointestinal and bariatric surgeons in California? We encourage you to attend one of our informational weight loss seminars. If you think surgery might be a good option for you, request a consultation online with Dr. David Thoman or call the office of Advanced Surgical Associates at (805) 730-1470. We routinely see patients from Santa Barbara, Bakersfield, San Luis Obispo County, and Ventura for weight loss surgery and other laparoscopic procedures.